A dental abscess is an accumulation of pus that forms inside the tooth or gum. It is primarily caused by a bacterial infection. An abscess that forms at the end of a tooth is called periapical infection and one that develops in the gum is periodontal abscess.
The three types of dental abscess are briefly explained below:
- Periapical Abscess: This type of abscess occurs at the tip of the tooth’s root and is generally caused by an untreated tooth decay or tooth injury.
- Periodontal Abscess: This type of abscess forms an infection around the gum caused by an underlying gum disease.
- Gingival Abscess: This type is generally characterized by an infection caused by an outside agent like trapped food particles or overuse of alcohol and tobacco.
Dental abscess usually happens when pus builds up around the tooth or gum area. Other causes of dental abscess can include:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Tooth decay
- Physical injury
- Cracked or broken teeth
- Weakened immune system
- Poor diet
- Pre-existing dental treatments like crowns can also cause infection.
- Consuming sugary foods
Symptoms of an abscess that develops in the gum or tooth may include:
- An intense, sharp, throbbing pain in the affected tooth
- Pain in the ear and surrounded facial area including ear or head
- Redness and swelling
- Loosened tooth
- Increased tooth sensitivity
- Difficulty opening mouth or chewing
- Low grade fever
- Unpleasant taste in the mouth or bad breath
Depending on the severity and location of the dental abscess, treatments options can include:
- If the symptoms are severe, the tooth must be extracted.
- Root canal can be an effective treatment for dental abscess as it involves removing the pus/infection from the root of the tooth and capping it back.
- Another temporary solution can be incision and drainage which helps in draining the abscess.
- Pain relating to dental abscess can be managed by painkiller medicines.
How Can You Prevent It?
- Brush and floss daily
- Use interdental brushes
- Replace toothbrush every 1-2 months
- Fluoride based toothpaste can also be beneficial
- Use mouthwash to rinse your mouth
- Avoid smoking and alcohol use
- Promptly address dental issues
Dental abscess is a dental condition which is characterized by the development of pus or infection around your teeth and gum area. It is a potentially dangerous condition which should be medically treated.
If you have developed symptoms of dental abscess, Royalty Dental Associates is at your rescue. Our experience team is dedicated to providing the best dental care and promptly helping towards alleviating pain and discomfort. We are located at 8714 Spring Cypress Rd #210, Spring, TX 77379, United States. You can also place an appointment on call at (281) 655-0500.