We all know that flossing is necessary for our dental health, but has anyone ever told you how often should you floss? Flossing is crucial for your oral health and prevents any dental issues that may occur. Moreover, it is also important that you do it regularly.
Why is it important to floss?
First, let us discuss why exactly flossing is important. It can seem like an extra, annoying chore to do in the day. Yes, brushing is good for your teeth. Moreover, brushing twice a day will help you remove food debris and harmful bacteria from the visible surfaces of your teeth. But what about the damaging agents that sit in-between your teeth and flourish just because you are too lazy to floss? You can remove any possible threats to your dental health by properly flossing your teeth. It helps clean between your teeth and remove any potentially harmful agents living along your gum lines. As a result, it helps prevent tooth decay and gum disease.
How do I floss?
Before we answer how often should you floss, let us tell you how to floss properly. It takes time, practice, and patience, but it’s easy once you know how to do it. The steps for flossing are given below:
- Break off 18 inches of floss or a piece as long as the distance between your shoulder to your hand.
- Hold the interdental cleaner between both of your hands’ thumb and index fingers.
- Gently and slowly slide the floss between two of your teeth.
- Lightly wiggle or move the floss down or up, respectively. Move it until it reaches your gum line.
- Gently curve the floss at the gum line, and move it under the gum next to one tooth.
- Following the same method, clean the gum line of the other tooth.
- Be mindful of moving it up and down between each tooth to remove any debris.
- Make sure to unwind a new section of floss before sliding it between teeth. Do not reuse the already wet or used thread to clean other areas.
Now that you know how to do it, what is the proper time to floss? And should you floss in the morning or at night? Flossing your teeth is essential, any time you can do it properly. This means nighttime, just before bed, for the majority. Flossing at night also helps prevent plaque from sitting in between your teeth overnight.
How Often Should You Floss?
Now, to answer: how often should you floss? or, “How many times a week should I floss?”
It is essential to floss once every day, and this means daily. Since your teeth come in contact with food daily, thus regularly flossing them is required too. It is important to remove harmful particles from between your teeth as often as you can. Therefore, once every day is the answer to, “How often should you floss?”
Using interdental cleaners is important for your oral health. This blog covered flossing technique, why you should do it, and how often should you floss. Therefore, use the instructions mentioned above, and take care of your oral health. If you want to know more about your dental health, get an appointment with the experts at Royalty Dental Associates at (281) 655-0500 (Spring Cypress) or (281) 288-0900 (Cypresswood).